Thursday, January 26, 2012

Italia!

Some of you have been pestering me about an update and my class ended today so i finally have free time! and here we are. i am at my hostel in Venice as I write this, and I am having a great time! after getting past the nerves of travelling alone it has been simply wonderful! the beginning was rough, getting to venice with no knowledge except the address of my hostel. here is more of an update from the past couple weeks:


 rome was a lot of fun! i dont know if i like it so much as a city, its really busy all the time and by the end of the week we were running out of things to do. buut the second night there me and three other guys got upgraded to the apartment suite! it was soo big. so naturally we threw a party..there was also a group from indiana there so they joined us as well which was really fun. the public transportation there is really good though, and easy to use. the second to last day we went to an AS Roma soccer game and that was amazing. one of the best things of the trip in my opinion.. then we went to florence and i love florence! there is a river that wasnt too far from our hotel and it was very nice. though florence didnt treated me so well. i accidentaly left my suitcase at our hotel in rome, because there was a pile of suitcases for those who wanted to leave them there since we were returning for our last day. i didnt know i left it til we got here and so i had to wear sweatpants for the first two days and then luckily i borrowed someones jeans for the last 2 days. i still didnt have much else to change into. also, one night i went to an american bar with people to watch the football games, the first one started at 9 and the second one at midnight. so i only stayed for the first. but i had been so good about always having one hand on my wallet or having it in my front pocket. but this time, i had it in my jacket pocket but i took that off and so i had to put it in my sweatpants pocket, which apparently have very bad pockets. i went to the bathroom and 20 minutes later someone announces my name and returns my wallet, he said the security guard found it on the sink in the bathroom. luckily i got it back, but i opened it up and noticed all of my money was gone! all 80 euros of it. i had taken 120 out of the atm earlier that day and it is now all gone. but despite the misfortune i had a great time in florence and pisa when we went for the day! we also went to some city that i dont know the name of and i went on my first tandem bike ride. it is very tricky but that made it fun.


Peace,
Dusty

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your wallet cash, Dustin. Glad it wasn't any worse than that! (Not that €80 is trivial, mind you.) Back in the days of my travels, we kept a "neck wallet" kind of thing that hung around the neck and under the shirt. That was recommended as the most "pick pocket proof" location, and thus good for carrying cash, ID and passports while traveling. (Just an FYI.)

    It sounds like you're packing a lot in, and I'm really jealous about you getting to Florence! (I can tell that you're younger because, to me, a suite upgrade doesn't necessarily mean "PARTY!", but then I'm old.)

    I need to be better about checking for blog updates from you and B... I'm late reading them. Glad you're having a good time. Happy traveling... oh yeah, happy studying too. (I put air quotes around "studying" but they're hard to see.)

    ReplyDelete